Waterproofing your camping tent heavily reduces the chances of wet nights in the wilderness. Even your brand new waterproof tent can leave you miserable if you don’t make it fully waterproof.
Waterproofing a tent is not rocket science but its no piece of cupcake either. In this guide, we will guide you step by step how can you make your tent fully waterproof.
We advise you to make your tent waterproof whether its a brand new waterproof tent or a degraded one. So, without wasting further time lets get into it and see how can you effectively make your tent waterproof.
Waterproofing Your Tent Effectively
In this guide, we will show you simple steps that will help stay warm and cozy in the rainy weather. These simple steps are super easy and provide maximum protection from the rainy weather.
- Cleaning the Tent
- Sealing Seams
- Apply Waterproofing Spray
- Protection From the Ground Water
Following these simple steps will make your tent fully waterproof against the harsh weather conditions. Simply follow these steps and you are good to go.
1. Cleaning The Tent
The first and foremost step of waterproofing your tent is cleaning. You should wash your tent to remove the dirt and other substances. You should fully wash your tent with plenty of water.
After washing the tent you should let it dry before proceeding to the next step.
2. Seam Sealing
There is a saying, “A CHAIN IS AS STRONG AS ITS WEAKEST LINK”. The weakest link in a tent is the seam of the tent. Most of the waterproof tents available in the market offer seamed seals that provide excellent protection from the weather. But after some time, these sealed seams wear out and become an easy spot for the rainwater.
- Setup the tent is a bright and vivid environment. You can place the tent outdoors if the weather is fair and sunny. Otherwise, use the indoors for the process.
- Clean the seams of the tent with the help of alcohol. Remove the bits of the tent that are getting off the tent. You can either use a soft cloth or sponge to apply the alcohol.
- Apply the seam sealer by following the instructions written on the product.
- Let the seam-sealer dry.
After following all the above-mentioned steps your seams are completely sealed against the water. Now move on to the next steps.
3. Applying Waterproof Spray
After sealing the seams, now you should make your entire tent even more secure against the water. Waterproofing spray helps you do so. This step is a must-do step and you cannot avoid it because your tent says it is fully waterproof.
- Set up your tent.
- Spray waterproofing spray all over the tent evenly.
- Remove any excessive spray with the help of a soft cloth.
- Let the tent dry before packing it up.
Waterproofing the tent it the help of a water-resistant spray heavily reduces the chances of rainwater pouring into the tent. It enhances the waterproofing of your rainfly. It’s worth the effort and time spent.
4. Ground Water
The base of the tent is one of the most neglected places while waterproofing the tent. Most campers miss the base of the tent and when there is a flood of rain they are left in a missable position despite waterproofing the seams and the rainfly.
The bottom of the tent is the most wearing part and thus with the passage of time does not hold its waterproofing capabilities. Therefore we heavily advise you to invest in a good waterproof tarp.
A waterproof tarp helps you from water getting into the tent from the bottom. So, even if it rains heavily you are at a safe side.
Additional Tips For Staying Dry
- We can understand how awkward it can be if your tent starts pouring water in the middle of the night. We advise you to choose a fully waterproof tent that has good reviews and is tested against the time. You can read out our list of best waterproof tents.
- No, you cannot make a cheap ordinary tent fully waterproof tent by following our steps. So, better invest in some good tents that will serve you for years. Hence, always go for a tent with better material.
- Always check out the weather reports and do not go camping in an area with extreme weather conditions.
- Look out for the weak spots on your tent that are flaking off and pay extra attention to them.
We are sure that, by following our step by step guide, you can make your tent fully waterproof. Happy Camping!